It might seem cliche to talk about community when it comes to development, I have been guilty of using the vague terminology in the past regarding new projects creating neighborhoods where parking lots existed before.
What is true is that for decades Tysons has been lacking the residential population to create a sense of place between its residents. Most charity events previously focused on corporate events.
The Tysons Month of Giving however is very much local oriented, with donations of shoes going to local elementary students in need, local restaurants helping to encourage residents to get out and run for a cause, and Tysons’ newest happy hour spot, Tysons Biergarten, holding a lawn game extravaganza on September 20th to support local youth homeless shelters.
Of course, with this being Tysons, there are many corporate and commercial sponsors helping with each cause, but unlike $200 a plate dinner events and other past charity drives, this year focuses on residents getting out in numbers to help.
It might not seem like much, but #TysonsCares is anecdotal evidence that the growing urban core of Tysons is becoming not only a place where big corporations hold their big events, but also a place that local community members are coming together to help make it a better place to live.
From now until September 29th you can donate a new pair of athletic shoes in size 9 toddler to size 8 youth at the following donation locations:
- Tysons I Mall (Microsoft Store and Le Pain Quotidien)
- Tysons Galleria (Grooming Lounge Store)
- Altus Group (7900 Westpark Drive Suite T600 Tysons, VA 22102)
- Tysons Partnership (1750 Tysons Blvd. 15th Floor Tysons, VA 22102)
- Womble Carlyle (8065 Leesburg Pike 4th Floor Tysons, VA 22182)
- Beacon: CW/Concierge (8251 Greensboro Drive Tysons VA 22102)
- Gates of McLean (1510 Spring Gate Drive McLean, VA 22102)
- Fairfax County Herrity Building (12055 Government Center Pkwy, Fairfax, VA 22035)
The Tysons 5k supporting Food for Others is this Saturday September 10th, and you can still sign up.
The Tysons Biergarten Tailgate to help support Alternative House is September 20th. Tickets are $20 and includes two beers and access to games.